Saturday, March 14, 2009

Shopping - downtown

Friday afternoon, we girls decided we'd have James take us to one of the shopping markets downtown. Samantha wanted a pair of crocks and we were going to just make a fun day of it. I believe everyone should experience a Chinese shopping mall at least once in their life. It's indescribable - shoppers from everywhere in the world, about 1,000 booths, and vendors pulling at your arms. When you first walk in to Yashow, there's a sign that gives a number to call if the vendors are pulling on you or coercing you to buy things you don't want. Sydni thought that was funny, and I think she entered it into her cell phone for future use.

On our way to the mall, James (our loving driver) gave us a lesson on how to barter with the vendors. I think Shelby took great notes - because she haggled with those women unrelentingly. Once inside, I found a purse I liked and asked how much it was - the lady gave me the price and my eyes must have bugged out, because James started rattling off Chinese... He turned into a man on a mission... It was way too much stress for me, but he loved it. I turned to walk away... about 5 minutes later, he came and found me and said he got the girls down to about 1/4 the price. hahaha! I asked him if his wife liked to shop. He said yes and so did his daughter - that is why he has so much experience in bartering. I laughed so hard - he was enjoying it so much!!!

Shelby found a pair of shoes she really liked. James asked the lady how much they were, and on a calculator she put the price. I was standing a little distance from them, but could tell by the look on his face it wasn't a good price. The lady gave Shelby the calculator and asked her to put a price. Shelby was about 1/5 of the lady's price. The lady gave another price - gave the calc. to Shelby - who promptly put the same price she did the first time. This went on a few more times, with Shelby never wavering on her price. The lady would tell her in English, "you put different number," and Shelby would just put the same price. She ended up getting the shoes for about $1 USD more than her original number she gave the lady. James was so proud of her. He said she has it figured out - and she can eye quality products.

On our way out the door, Samantha spotted a sweater she liked. The lady wanted WWWAAAYYY to much for it. Samantha, being the nice person she is, only offered 1/2 of the price (Shelby offered about 1/4)... the lady spoke very good English. She wouldn't budge. Samantha haggled with her a while, James came over and haggled - both ended up walking off. Just as we were exiting, the lady grabbed James's arm and led him back to her booth. I don't know why, because I don't think she changed her price. James came back to where we were standing and suggested Shelby go try. By now, Samantha is back over there. I think Shelby insulted the lady with the price she gave. Samantha was shocked as well. The lady put a price on the calculator - and told Shelby not to say anything. HA! Of course, she did. I think they ended up giving much less for the sweater the original price Samantha would have originally paid.

Shelby bought a black cashmere scarf too. The lady told her she was a hard bargain and was breaking her heart. lol... Afterwards, Samantha bought a scarf too - from the same lady. One thing is for sure - we will revisit the booths we bought from.

All in all, we probably spent less than $100 USD, and bought several other things as well. Sydni bought a purse too, but she is like me and let James haggle the price - He's good!

I think we are going to a different mall next week. James thinks they are "field trips." I guess in a way they are learning something related to math. Yes? lol

P.S. we didn't buy any Crocks. lol

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment