Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mid-Week update...


I thought I'd slide an update in today - but nothing great has happened. Just life as normal. Monday, our Ayi Lucy started working for us. We were told she spoke and understood a little English - hhhhmmm, pretty sure she doesn't ~ at all... ha! I am thankful to have James here, who has become my personal interpreter. Yesterday, in passing, I told him I didn't think Lucy understood my English, his response was, "Uh, no. I talked to her yesterday and she doesn't understand anything you say." Now, I know I carry a little Texas twang, but come on!!! It's not THAT bad!! I am going to really try to work with her (Matt likes that she presses his hankies and t-shirts), but I'm not sure how she's going to work out. In trying to bridge the gap, I printed off laundry directions in English, went to a translation site, and had it translated into Chinese characters - I'll let you know how it goes... lol

Monday night, Shelby, Samantha, and I went to open gym volleyball. We rode our bikes to the school, which is across the street from our compound and where the girls will go next fall (ISB). We have used our ipods so much since we arrived. Between riding our bikes and in the car and plane. Anyway, there were enough people for 4 teams - none of us were on the same team. It was fun, but different. For those of you who know something about volleyball - they ran a 4/2 with the setter in the middle. Poor Shelby, it took her a few rotations before she figured out she didn't have to run all over the court. I kept passing to the wrong person. It was great fun though. We will definitely go back next week. On the volleyball note, Shelby started spring training today (7 am). I am curious to see how it went. She rode her bike to a friends house and they walked to practice together. I'm sure she had a great time, just because it's volleyball.

The girls are going to youth camp this weekend - and Samantha is going to be a counselor. hahaha, I'll get back to you on that one. We found the coolest sporting goods store ever. It's the Chinese version of Academy and Sports Chalet. All 3 girls needed sleeping bags for this weekend, and Matt will need one for his men's retreat next weekend. The men are going to stay in a cabin overlooking the Great Wall. How incredible is that going to be?

We are still having fun in school. It's going well and no one has fallen off "the wagon."

Matt is working from home still, trying to get the company paperwork finished, so he can start "working" for real. I say this in no literal form whatsoever, as he is working from 7-10 every day. He gets up and does work on Texas afternoon time, works on China time all day, and finishes up on Texas morning time. I don't see how he does it... well, they DO have Red Bull here.

I am off to "translate" more things for Lucy, will write more later. We miss you all - would love to hear from you! AND send pictures!

Be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment