Saturday, February 28, 2009

Our 1st Saturday



We have made it through the first week (half a week) in China. We are really liking it here thus far, I hope it continues after we begin school next week. lol Reentry could be dangerous!

Today, we had a few kids over. They are children of a couple of Matt's business associates. They loved the Smarties candy we had (we had to hide it, or we'd be out), and loved the grilled cheese sandwiches we fixed. They have been in our media room ALL DAY playing Play Station 2. I think they watched a movie for a little while. Two of them can understand and speak English, which makes it fun. Matt's printer was delivered today - interesting... Thankfully, the kids were still here, so I had my own mini interpreters! It was hilarious, because they kept laughing at me, saying, "You don't speak Chinese?!" lol... They interpreted what the delivery guy was telling me. They weren't too happy, because they had to pause their game and wanted to get back to it. After he set the printer up, Shelby walked him to the door. He said something to her, and all she could say in Chinese back was, "I don't understand." We will survive! ha!

We have been invited to dinner at the home of an American family, which lives in our neighborhood. He is another one of Matt's business associates. It will be nice to sit with a family who has been here a while, yet understands where we are in this whole transition. Being that we don't have a car, we will walk to their house. It's just a couple of blocks. I've got my parka ready to go.

We are very tired, as we have been going and doing every day, from morning till evening that we have been here. Since we arrived, I am usually ready to go to bed about 6-7, but haven't made it earlier than 9:30 - 10... The jet lag hasn't been too bad, but it's catching up. Sydni asked if she could stay home tonight, which tells me she is VERY tired - she doesn't like being home along.

Tomorrow, we are going to visit a church here close to our neighborhood. We live hear 2 of the largest International Schools and there is a feel of "small town" to the area. We will catch a shuttle there, from the club house at the front of our neighborhood. We are excited about attending. I will get back to you on how it goes. They seem to have quite a bit going on within our community - men's prayer, women's Bible study, youth, worship, etc.

I sent Matt back to Wal-Mart today with a list of things to purchase. He called me and told me he would NOT be going - the traffic is 100 times worse than a week day - and there are a million more people than on a week day. I can only imagine, as it was packed the other day when I was there. Guess the girls and I will take another "field trip" next week. lol

We watched "Snow Buddies" in Chinese, and watched "Becoming Jane" in English earlier today. We have cable, which enables us to get ESPN, Hallmark, HBO, Cinemax, and other stations. There is also "The Price is Right" in Chinese!!! lol There is also a Disney station in Chinese. We definitely aren't bored!

Have a great weekend!

Blessings

2 comments:

  1. Coby,

    Where are you in Beijing? Show us on Goggle Earth? Blessings to you.

    Jerry & Barbara Northcutt

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should be able to find it on google earth... we are in the shunyi district. google the International School of Beijing - our neighborhood is across the street.

    good to hear form you - tell everyone hi for us!

    ReplyDelete