Saturday, April 4, 2009

Spring is in the Air!


I spent a few hours this week, planting beautiful flowers. I have never lived anywhere where winter sets up camp and stays a while, causing all plant life to either die or look dead. When we first arrived in Beijing, I was certain every tree would never have a leaf, and the grass would be eternally brown. In the past week or 2, things are coming to life. I have watched a beautiful Magnolia tree blossom outside Matt's office window. We have several fruit trees, which are taking on life-like tendencies - I am so excited. I decided I was going to plant some flowers in our yard - to give it color. Up and down the street outside our compound are many vendors selling all sorts of plants, from daisies & roses, to lemon trees and ground cover. It is truly a beautiful sight. James took me and of course, negotiated a great deal for me. My Ayi asked if she needed to help me, I told her I loved to work in the yard. Well, James told her - he then told me he said I was a "professional." ha! I told him if they all died (which was very probable), we'd go buy more and she could plant them. I have included a few pictures of my "art work."

James's birthday was this week. Samantha and Sydni decided to make him a cake. They baked a chocolate cake with lots of chocolate icing. He was so surprised! The next day, he told them his wife really liked it. I am not sure Chinese eat sweets like this - I'm pretty sure they don't. But, he said they ate little servings. I told him I didn't know of any woman who would turn down chocolate - he agreed!

Today begins a 3 day holiday - Tomb Sweeping. I had James give me the "skinny" on this. It's where the people make a sacrifice to their ancestors. Mainly fruit and flowers. I thought it was interesting. My Ayi asked for Monday off - Driver didn't... interesting. Next week we will have Spring Break. Jaycen is in town, and we are going to do all the touristy things in Beijing. I am hoping to go to the Great Wall, Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Tieneman Square, among other things. Of course, we will take Jaycen to our 2 favorite shopping places. We've learned a few more phrases - so we will get practice. =o)

We have truly made some wonderful friends here - we are so grateful. This would be such a different experience, if people hadn't reached out to us.


Next week is Easter - I hope you all have a wonderful holiday! I know, for our West Coast friends, Spring Break is around the corner - have a blast. Sydni and I were supposed to go to Washington DC, with her school. We will miss being there - but, we will be enjoying the Chinese history.


Be blessed!

2 comments:

  1. who's jaycen? did i miss somethin'?

    sagepedia

    ReplyDelete
  2. jaycen is a friend of samantha's... =o) no, you didn't miss anything... but, i miss YOU!!! have fun in DC!!!

    ReplyDelete